Light a candle, if you wish. This will signal your brain to quieten down and that it’s time for meditation. Do the belly breathing slowly and deeply and just notice how the thoughts in your mind slow down with your breathing. I highly recommend that you begin each inner session with the following Light meditation.
- Sit in a chair with your back straight or in a comfortable position on the floor with your back supported. Place your hands with your palms open and facing upwards on your lap.
- Light a candle and look steadily at the flame in front of you.
- Close your eyes and try to feel the flame between your eyebrows.
- Take a few diaphragmatic breaths. Then let your breathing find its own level.
- Give over the guidance of your session to your Higher Consciousness, or Divine Life Force Energy. This is the only reliable source of any information in our life.
- Imagine the Light descend down into the lotus of your heart illuminating the path.
- When the Light enters the heart, in the center of your chest, imagine the petals of the lotus bud open out, one by one, bathing every thought and feeling and emotion and impulse in the Light and removing darkness.
- There is no space for darkness to take refuge. It has to flee before the flame.
- Imagine the Light becomes wider, bigger, brighter. It pervades the limbs, they can no more busy themselves in dark, wicked, suspicious activities; they have become instruments of Light, that is to say Love, and you are conscious of it.
- The Light reaches your tongue. Falsehood, slander, bragging, spite vanishes from it.
- The Light reaches your eyes and ears. All dark desires that infest and infect them are destroyed by the brilliant Light of Wisdom and Virtue.
- Let your head be charged with Light. All wicked and vicious thoughts disappear.
- Imagine that Light in you, more and more intensely—- and it will be so.
- Let it shine all around you, enveloping you in the brilliance of Love.
- Let the Light spread in ever widening circles, taking into its fold your family, friends and loved ones, and strangers, foes, rivals, enemies, all men, women, children, all the people in all the world, all living beings, all of creation.
Do this every day, without a break, for as long as you enjoy it. By doing this Light Meditation practice sincerely and systematically, a time will come when you will enjoy Divine Peace that surpasses all understanding.